This clip of Ben discussing his character in the play “Rhinoceros” (which I’ve read and LOVED) literally makes me cry for a fuckload of reasons.
- I did theatre for 15 years and I appreciate actors who have “made it big” that still do live theatre. There’s not a lot of money in live theatre because it obviously doesn’t draw as wide of an audience as a film, but the craft! Theatre keeps actors sharp. There is no “cut!” in live theatre. The show must go on. I have an immense amount of respect for Ben because he still loves the theatre (the same goes for Chris Pine).
- He knows his character SO WELL. When I did theatre, I strived to understand everything about the character I was playing; their motivations and such through backstory. If there was no backstory, I’d write one. Ben clearly doesn’t just play the character, he becomes them and he seems very analytical and thoughtful in the process of doing so. Respect.
- As he speaks, other thoughts occur to him and sneak into his train of thought and he gets off topic. I do that. I do that so often that sometimes I forget my point and have to stop and map my way back to what my original point was.
- HIS LISP. It’s adorable.
- His voice in general. FUCK. ME.
- LOOK AT THIS MAN. HE IS FUCKING BEAUTIFUL.
I believe I’m done fangirling now. As you were, Tumblr.